5.31.2012

?s

Did McCausland name a suspect?
Did McCausland rule anyone out?
Did McCausland announce an arrest?
Did McCausland reveal anything new?
Did McCausland confirm or deny any information?
Did McCausland act to lock up a murderer for the safety of the Waterville community?
Did McCausland say why Ayla is "highly unlikely" to be alive?

Why didn't he do any of these things?

It's premature. Too early in the investigation. Not appropriate. Being kept close to the vest.

Then why hold a press conference at all?

There's good news, bad news, and no news. I'm putting this safely into the "no news" column. The 3 who were in the home know more than what they are saying. Wash. Rinse. Repeat. Literally!

Trista has been so helpful and concerned and cooperative, why not return the favor and clear her of any wrong doing? What a slap in the damn face... O_o


Oh, I'M OFFICIALLY ON SUMMER BREAK! woohoooooo...

35 comments:

  1. @Obscure

    "There's good news, bad news, and no news. I'm putting this safely into the "no news" column. The 3 who were in the home know more than what they are saying. Wash. Rinse. Repeat. Literally!"

    And this comes as a surprise? LOL I know this case isn't funny, but you have to admit that LE in Maine is a bit of a joke. Basically, they are saying that they are plumb out of ideas and are begging the perp to give him/herself up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed.

      It is frustrating.

      No, this isn't a 60 minute crime show - but they're going on six MONTHS. Remember the Perdomo murder in February? That case was wrapped up in DAYS, even with supporting forensic evidence... almost hard to believe it involved MSP and the same crime lab.

      If this case were as clear cut as McCausland's manner of assertion there should be an arrest.

      Can anyone explain what this might mean? "We've been very clear for several months, she was not abducted from that home." and then a few minutes later "This is a missing persons case until determined otherwise."

      Delete
    2. @Really?

      I copied your post and added it to my notes. It saved me the time of writing it down myself. Hope you don't mind.

      posted by mamamen 6/1/2012

      Delete
    3. I don't mind mamamen. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. Basically we could copy and paste every update/ news article and you would have the press conference today. All the tidbits of information ever released were just put together. But in a way it was telling. I think i will just follow the news instead of blogs from now on. Makes me think they are just waiting on a body and cause of death. Thanks for sharing with me your theories and helping to pass the time. You really could be a great writer. Maybe you should consider persuing that later in your life. You are open minded and witty which are great qualities. I dont know which way to think in this case. I will continue to keep my eyes open and pray for ayla.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that it was an interesting press conference and my thoughts on it are ones I don't want to share at this point. I hope that if anyone else has the same thoughts that they don't start putting the idea out there. Fingers crossed. The press conference really could have made a difference. Still praying for Ayla to be found safe and sound. Still believing she will be.


      -yb

      Delete
    2. laughable!

      Delete
    3. I agree and I smell what you're stepping in, yb. Mums the word.

      Delete
    4. Sorry? I don't find any of it laughworthy. It's heartbreaking. -yb

      Delete
    5. yb,
      There is someone who may think the same as you.

      Delete
  3. More of the same. Is it normal to put a time limit on reward money? I've never heard of that happening. Tactic, maybe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may be a tactic. I've heard of rewards that decrease over time (ie. Jaliek Rainwalker), but never just dropping off completely. Then to have the actual person (one of them) behind the reward disclose this? Why? What was the point?

      Delete
    2. @Michelle

      If it's a federal carrot stick, they're gonna want their money back as soon as possible. Correction: not actually money, such as cash, but it's on the books - more like a promise with fingers crossed behind their backs. I am not declaring that it is federal money. It feels like it, it smells like it, it stagnates like it, but it may not be federal money.

      Oops, hope that wasn't a secret.

      posted by mamamen (formerly pogamen) 5/31/2012

      Delete
    3. Is it possible that they've had an anonymous person come forward and rather than say "this person gets the reward money" they are simply stating that its ending? just a theory....

      Delete
    4. It would be my opinion that if that is the case then we will see some sort of resolve in the near future and that Steve McCausland would rather us war it out with each other than interfere with the case or consume their time with even more nonsense that they have seen from the blogosphere.

      Delete
  4. Opposing View5/31/12, 2:37 PM

    You aren't very experienced at interpreting officialese and reading between the lines, apparently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, maybe this is a more fitting of McCausland. Maybe he's not used to giving press conferences, or looking for missing children. I shouldn't have to "read between the lines."

      Delete
    2. a more fitting assessment*

      Delete
    3. Opposing: do you have something of value to add to the conversation or are you just dropping in to launch an offensive?

      Remember that comment a while back where someone got on a platform and said that if anyone opposes what is said here by the blogger that they are just attacked? And one of the replies explained that really almost no one comes here to oppose in a respectful way- one that gives a point of view and then expects and understands that people will have their own perspectives and respond as such? That applies now. The people that come to "express their views" really just make nasty comments and run away or sign in as a different anon and make more. They don't respect different interpretations.

      Opposing, i have a question for you. Did you know that in some states when a child goes missing the LE officials designate several teams of investigators who don't really communicate w/one another and who each follow through with a different theory in mind? Why would some experienced LE agencies and police forces ever have been inclined to do that at all, if police always know what they are doing and always get it right? They wouldn't. Experienced and open minded ones realize some of the inherant flaws we humans have. When only one force investigates such a crime as one unit, tunnel vision can be adopted and it does a disservice to the victim(s). That's the benefit of having learned from many "failures".

      There are those of us who are unwilling to sit by and let Ayla's story end as a tragic failure in that regard. We want to take the "tragic" component out of it.

      Did you happen to hear McCausland note that there are TWO INVESTIGATORS on Ayla's missing person case? Two.
      -yb

      Delete
    4. Opposing View5/31/12, 4:01 PM

      My point is he is not in a position to tell all. He signals and people read signals when the subject is something that the investigators don't want to officially disclose. We are not his concern, exactly, though I'm sure he'd like to tell the public more. This press conference was not intended to give info to the public at large; it was to send a message and to lay a foundation for pressure to be applied where it needs to be, IMHO.

      Delete
    5. the space between5/31/12, 9:00 PM

      anon (yb) - I was surprised about the announcement of there being two investigators. I thought there would be more.

      Delete
    6. @Opposing View

      Actually, it WAS a press conference intended to give info to the public at large.

      posted by mamamen 6/1/2012

      Delete
  5. I'm sure you are thrilled to now be on summer break. Enjoy your summer!!

    The only thing I found new in the PC was that the reward would be cancelled the end of June.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Strong Message5/31/12, 2:55 PM

    Michelle, I think it's an excellent tactic to put pressure on anyone who knows but did no wrong. It's now or it's never. With the evidence police have, they are closing in, but they need something and they know someone out there has it, even if they aren't sure who it is. They are signalling to that person to come forward now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the space between5/31/12, 9:08 PM

      SM - that sounds reasonable, I was wondering why they kept reiterating about the reward money since that is actually something I doubt any of us really care about. Then John Nale is there to talk about it himself... then McCausland repeats the obvious statement that the investigation will continue even after the reward is expired. All that reward money talk felt really weird. If he had someone(s) particular in mind with all of that it would make more sense.

      Delete
  7. I learned overt and covert stuff from the press conference. One that the reward money is only good until the end of the month. Two the covert message is that if you want to cash in on it you better come forward now and we the police are pressurign you to come forward cause we aint got a clue. That the police say directly for the first time that they dont believe Ayla to be alive. Yeah we guessed that was their stance given where they are looking for her. Two they dont like Justin much. Their veiled language about how Justin reacted when told certainly sounded disapproving. Hell, somone bluntly says to me well we are recalling the reward to find your daughter who is likely dead and by they way we know you had something to do with it...yeah I would graciously be thanking that dolt like Trista did when she heard the flip side of that message..well we are taking away the reward so hopefully this will get one of the dipietros to come forward about killing your daughter. I believe there is strong bias on the part of LE. Whether this bias has any basis in facts..LE isnt saying. It feels like a case of guilty until proven otherwise. I wonder if the LE is gettign it from the blog? Hmmm Food for thought. Who is using whom to their own ends?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Selena Johnson5/31/12, 8:38 PM

      Bias was present *during* the time the house was searched...**BEFORE** any forensic evidence was back from the labs. My family was well aware of the bias *as soon as* they entered the house.

      Delete
  8. Why do you think LE finally came out and said they think she is dead? Do you think that they did find something in the river or some additional evidence that we don't know about? I doubt it was just because after a certain time they make a decision to assume death.

    I've been very open minded in this case and supportive of this blog. I've never thought that Trista, her family, or associates were responsible for this. On the other hand, I haven't been willing to hang Justin for it without more evidence. I still don't have that evidence. That said, I have to say that I am extremely disgusted with him and the other 2-3 for clamming up. It reeks of guilt. At first I thought they were just pi$$ed off at LE because I know LE can use some pretty ruthless tactics to get people to confess. Now, I have to side with McCausland (oh no!) and say that I, too, think they know more than what they have told.

    My thinking is this. The Dips (and Courtney) either did something to Ayla, or else they know who did and are not speaking out due to fear. Those are the only choices I see right now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This supports another point made- The Bangor Daily news had to update an article to clarify. Why? Because the wording does indeed matter. :) IT DOES make a difference in the meaning.

    LOOK:
    "This article has been updated to clarify that police have refused to say whether anybody is or is not a suspect. Because of an editor's error, an earlier version of this article stated that police said DiPietro is not a suspect." 5/31/12 Bangor Daily News

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have been officially on break since you started this blog. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out those responsible in knowing what happened to Ayla are those in the home where she went "missing." I think it irks you that McCausland has never said that "somebody" knows where Ayla is? Which would then add Trista to the mix. No, he says "one of the three in that home is not forthcoming." I guess it also never occurred to you that part of the MSP investigation was getting a clear and proven alibi for Trista, right? Probably explains why they have yet to add her as one that is not forthcoming. Time and again McCausland has given plenty of opportunities for someone to come forward and do not kid yourself, if you knew anything about homicide investigations the MSP is not going to divulge anything that is going to turn a trial into a "Casey Anthony" situation. Whether drops or a cup of blood, if it is arterial vs venous, that is an indicator that a sure death occurred.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bring Ayla home5/31/12, 5:50 PM

    Did McCausland say we have *evidence* leading us to believe?
    Did McCausland name the "three people" he keeps referring to?
    Did McCausland state with full certainty that Ayla will not be found alive?

    There is no doubt he is passive aggressive in pointing his finger at three people he cannot even refer to by their names...why? What is your vendetta Mr. McCausland? What could you possibly be basing your judgment of these three people, *Justin DiPietro, Elisha DiPietro and Courtney Roberts* on that makes you want everyone to believe they are heartless cold blooded monsters who killed an innocent child and have no conscience whatsoever about it? Where is your proof? Where is your evidence? Polygraphs? Dog hits? FBI crime lab results? None of that? You just have a feeling that you are right because that's your job, and you believe you've done it well enough to present a death verdict for a missing child and who did it without providing one piece of evidence? Your tactics aren't working, your ignorance is showing through and those three fingers are pointing back at you and your investigation.
    Ayla, how dare anyone suggest, without proof or evidence, that you are not alive. How dare anyone be so closed minded just 166 days into your disappearance. We will never give up hope, that's not part of our goal, and our efforts will always be to bring you home ALIVE because we believe in innocent until proven guilty and alive until proven otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Selena Johnson5/31/12, 8:51 PM

      ITA Anon

      Now the public is starting to understand why Phoebe,Lance,Justin,Courtney and Li are so angry and frustrated with McMuffin.His attitude can be literally seen. There is NO hiding that attitude. That attitude has been there since the very beginning.That attitude has gotten windows smashed in ....and now?? The threats since 1:30 are backed with even more hate.Yes...new threats. Thanks Mcmuffin...

      Delete
  12. oh well thanks for sharing...we were all wondering why they wouldn't talk...we thought they were hiding something...now we know why...cause LE has a bad attitude...brilliant....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just because a family is not on every media outlet does not equal hiding. They can be found in their home. If LE needs to reach them at anytime they know exactly where to reach them. And they have always made themselves available to LE to answers any and all questions. How is that hiding. Because they do not want or need to prove something to the public the way the Reynolds family seems to need to do? What is that about really. Because it certainly has not been about finding Ayla. It has not been about believing she was alive and wanting her home. So do not try to tell me that the maternal side of the family has been in the media doing anything beneficial for Ayla. Justin and his family and supporters have done more for Ayla and getting her name and face out there without splashing his face on tv and using it as a podium to defend himself or to mudsling against others. So someday when Ayla comes home she can look back and know her daddy did not participate in the negativity.

      Delete
    2. He really is a good daddy

      Delete

ALL comments subject to removal. MODERATION becomes necessary when ignorance shows up. Don't be that person!