5.25.2012

Justin's Misstep

No one is completely blameless. Even though I have very strong beliefs about what ultimately happened to Ayla, I have to blame Justin, partially, for this whole situation.

Trista says:
I was tired of getting my hopes up that my daughter was going to get to come spend the night or even a weekend with me. And then when he wouldn't show with her..you know what I mean? Like..
I don't think we was not a non-caring parent..I just..I just think the way he was going about things was just wrong, by lots of ways and I mean, just, after a while of not hearing from her and not being able to see her, a mother is going to get suspicious. And that's..I started getting very suspicious of um, what was going on. 
What we don't know is why she was not seeing Ayla. It could have been the fact that she had no car, and they lived in different cities. It could have been that Trista was busy with other things. It could have also been that DHHS had some sort of safety plan that prevented her from doing so. I always talk about DHHS, because I believe their involvement (or lack thereof) is going to prove crucial in this case. Ask yourself why Jeffrey hasn't released those files, even though he said, and I quote: "I believe that all the proof we need are in DHHS's files." On his blog he says he is working on obtaining said files, but the media reports that he had already obtained them.
Hanson, a hobbyist Web designer in Portland, said www.answersforayla.com will represent the personal observations and opinions of the Reynolds family along with facts, including links to scanned copies of medical, court and Department of Health and Human Services records that the family acquired late last week.
Why the discrepancy? Why so MANY discrepancies? Again, my opinion is that whatever is in those files does not, in fact, prove a damn thing. It may even point to more motive for Trista, and it likely lessens her credibility even further. I can almost gaurantee that whatever is in that file will contradict the stories she has told about Ayla being removed from her care. The State of Maine DID NOT hold a family team meeting just for fun. They did it because one or both of the children's safety was a concern. 
Q: There's a lot of questions and speculation about the custody situation, I know that Ayla was put into, by child protective services, into custody, uh, Justin got custody of Ayla in October...
TR: He did not get custody of Ayla.
Q:...temporary custody in October? He did not?
TR: No, he did not, no, he did not.
Q: Why was she in his care?
TR: Nothing stating..Because Department of Health and Human Services violated my rights. That is why she ended in Justin's care. There was no court order, there was no nothing that had to do with any custody at all. None, whatsoever.
The toddler had lived in Portland with her mother and grandmother until mid-October, said Becca Hanson, Ayla’s grandmother. The grandparents, who are not married and have separate addresses, said Maine’s Department of Health and Human Services had removed Ayla from her mother’s care in October. The maternal grandparents criticized the agency, although no details about the action were available Sunday. 
Why would the maternal grandparents be criticizing DHHS, but not Trista who is at best a confirmed alcoholic, and at worst a full-fledged drug addict? At any rate, this attitude toward DHHS is pervasive in this family. It leads me to believe that DHHS had made a decision regarding Ayla, and possibly baby Ray, that the family strongly disagreed with. Perhaps the agency required Ayla to stay with Justin, as opposed to Trista "giving up and letting her stay there." When she was unable to compel Justin or the state to give her back her beloved baby girl, did she take matters into her own hands? Was she desperate, and as she stated, "tired of getting her hopes up"? The part about DHHS' involvement has never made sense; even the most basic question of why the police originally contacted the agency when Trista and Jessica were fighting has not been answered.
Whitney Raynor, her mother’s stepsister, said Monday that welfare agents had placed Ayla with her father in November while the mother was in rehab for substance abuse.

The toddler's maternal grandmother, Becca Hanson, told the Morning Sentinel newspaper it was the Department of Health and Human Services that took custody of the girl and turned her over to DiPietro.

Trista Reynolds told The Associated Press that she and DiPietro never lived together as a couple. But Reynolds said a drinking problem prompted her to enter rehabilitation in Lewiston for 10 days in October; she said that although her mother and older sister cared for Ayla during that time, child welfare agents intervened to place the girl with DiPietro.
For some reason, it's important for Trista to deny that Justin had custody. Everyone around her seems to realize that Justin had custody, even if it was temporary, but Trista asserts that her rights were violated. When DHHS "places" a child with someone, that person has effectively been given custody of the child. That custody may be temporary, until a more permanent situation is worked out in front of a judge, but it is custody nonetheless. The denial of custody may be being used to justify Trista taking Ayla; as many dumb asses people like to say, she had just as much right to Ayla as Justin did. But did she really? Was it her prerogative to just walk into someone else's home? Not to mention that usually when DHHS removes a child from your care, there are conditions (like rehab) to get the child back.
Q: If you could speak to Justin right now what would you say to him?
TR: Just come talk to me. Like, just talk to me. You know, like, he's the only one that can answer some of my questions. You know, like, we have a daughter that is missing. We used to be able to get along all the time. Just talk to me. That's all I want, just..he was the last one to see her alive. Like, just talk to me. That's all I want. Just talk to me. 
TR: Just why after, you know, so many weeks, he's finally wanting to come out here and you know, put up posters and get like, T-shirts made for her and you know, just, like, why? I find that -like, you know, why wasn't he out here with me in the beginning doing all of this? Like, why after, you know, two weeks of it, you're finally, you know, saying hey this is what I'm about to do, I want to get T-shirts made and I want to go door to door.
TR: I was wanting to maybe lash out a little bit about it but that wasn't going to get me anywheres, it was amazing to have him by my side yesterday. Um, to support Ayla as her parents, as mom and dad.
It is clear to me that at the beginning of this investigation, Trista wanted---NEEDED---Justin to come and talk to her. She even wonders why it took so many weeks for him to get involved. He wasn't OUT there WITH HER in the beginning. Later, when the two did talk, it felt AMAZING to have him BY her side. If the two were talking by phone, as has been reported, why did Trista need him to "come and talk to her"? Is it because phone lines are tapped, and she couldn't reveal certain things over the phone? 


Justin's misstep: unfortunately, he called 911 instead of calling Trista. The Reynolds clan has made a big deal about the fact that Justin did not call Trista to tell her that Ayla was gone. I believe this is important to Trista, because if Justin had just picked up the damn phone and called her, she could/would have ended this before it even got started. Maybe, just maybe, Justin immediately suspected that Trista had taken her. Trista probably banked on the fact that Justin would call her first, especially since she or someone in her family had threatened that they could come and take Ayla any time they chose to do so. According to Jeffrey, these types of exchanges occurred up until the day before Ayla went missing. Trista was through threatening, and ready to carry out her plan, eh? I mean, even Phoebe thought that Justin would go beating down doors to find Ayla. He did the right thing, but in all actuality it may have been the wrong thing.

If Justin had called Trista, instead of involving the police, I don't think Ayla would still be "missing". Hypothetically, Trista would have used Justin's phone call to explain why she took Ayla. She probably would have said that she's in love with Justin, that she wants to be a family, and that she's jealous of Courtney Roberts for taking her role as a mother to Ayla.

One more thing to note, Trista filed for parental rights/responsibilities on December 15. She claims to have last talked to Ayla on December 8 (I believe). She last saw Ayla on November 21. 
We are to believe that after a week without talking to Ayla, and 3 weeks without seeing her Trista was so concerned about a lack of communication and infrequent visits that she finally filed? Don't forget, by her own doing, Trista did not see Ayla for 2 weeks after she got out of rehab. Also, why didn't she file initially when Justin would not return Ayla to her as planned? What was different? It is NO COINCIDENCE that Trista filed on December 15. Is she  using the fact that she filed as a cover for her nefarious acts that just so happened to occur 1-2 days later?

I report, you decide. =)

Side note: It won't work Tori Gifford and Jeffrey Hanson (Dumb & Dumber).
Trista's story is like Swiss cheese; it's filled with holes, and quite frankly, it stinks.



39 comments:

  1. so ur saying that DHHS took away her daughter from her but left the son???? so their concern was for the safety of one child but not the other?..just trying to clarify??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe that both children were initially placed with Becca/Jessica. Since the son's dad is incarcerated, he would not have come to take him back. If Trista and DHHS agreed that Ayla would go with Justin, there would be no need for a court order. If she went against DHHS they could very well have taken her to court to legally remove the children. I hope that makes sense.

      Is Trista still involved in an active CPS case?

      Delete
  2. there are many versions of the actual involvement of DHHS...here is what one poster stated and I thought she was right actually.,,,... I have never understood the assertions made by some that DHHS was NOT actively involved with Ayla Reynolds, and had no case on her, and no SAY in whether or NOT JDiP took her from the Reynolds'; therefore NO obligation to "check" the DiP home for suitability OR obligation to "check on Ayla" AFTER going to live with JDiP.

    IF THIS WAS THE CASE [that DHHS had "no say"] WHAT WERE THEY DOING SENDING LE TO JR's APARTMENT ON JDiPS BEHALF???

    If DHHS had "no SAY" in Justin's right to assert claim of custody over Ayla, in Trista's absence...they should have REMAINED uninvolved.
    As in: "Sorry. We can't help you Justin."
    End of story.

    Once they intervened AT ALL by involving LE on Justin's BEHALF---DHHS inserted themselves INTO the custodial situation---they WERE OBLIGATED to open a case on Ayla Reynolds and to follow-up!
    J

    ReplyDelete
  3. also interesting....I work in a profession that works hand in hand with DHHS and from the beginning there has been a bunch of misinformation about how that agency works and what they had the power to do.

    Seems to me that DHHS opened a case about Trista at some point around her fight with her sister, due to Tristas substance abuse. Not unusual. What is unusual is that they were involved in any way with Justin taking Ayla, which he could have legally done on his own without their help ( because Dad trumps aunt, by law) Whatever agreements that are made at Family Team Meetings are not bound by a court of law, such as, Ayla will be returned at a specific date to Trista. Every single thing that happens with DHHS that doesn't happen due to DHHS initiating court action, is voluntary by the parties involved.

    With no custody order in place Trista could have taken Ayla from Justin at any time after she returned from detox, so the theory that Trista took her is ridiculous. She'd have no need to hide her, just don't leave her with a babysitter or a relative so Justin could snatch her back.

    Thanks for delving not this stuff so people better understand what happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trista may not have understood the process. And no, she could not have just taken Ayla back. If she could have taken Ayla back at any time why didn't she do it in a manner that didn't break the law? Why did she have to sneak into their home late at night?

      Delete
  4. See, this is why I love this blog. You're not so slanted that you can't look at this case objectively. It's a hard position to be in, because you might have both sides after you for not taking a more solid stand 100% in each respective camp. However, there are several of us here, from what I can tell, that are looking at a number of possibilities, and we're not afraid to question the side we think is less at fault.

    It doesn't threaten my stance to see that Justin may be partially to blame, for instance. I don't believe Justin has made good decisions as a man, but he's young & allowed his mistakes just like the rest of us. He has the unfortunate position of having his displayed for the world to see, however, and that is hard. I thank the good Lord mine were pretty much undercover & only those directly involved know....but geez. You really have to wonder if the haters have done a blasted thing wrong in their lives...

    Anyway, I'm babbling. I appreciate your openness. It's appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WHERE IS JESSICA REYNOLDS?5/25/12, 6:05 AM

    This was a brilliant analysis. I do think you are on the right track. The only part left out is the potential role of Jessica Reynolds, Trista's sister.

    Someone is hiding Ayla now for Trista. Meanwhile, Jessica is nowhere to be found. She gave up her apartment in Lewiston right before Ayla went missing, and moved into the motel with Trista. Then Ayla went missing, then Jessica vanished.

    At the birthday vigil, the Reynolds family told folks that they no longer had contact with Jessica, and that she had fallen back into the use of hard drugs. Jessica has never been polygraphed in this case. I think that is a big mistake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.

      I have not forgotten about Jessica. She probably played a key role in the actual abduction.

      Delete
    2. I agree that Jessica played a role. I also found it odd that she "disappeared", but she actually may be in prison. I believe she was arrested twice this year. The first time, if it was her, was for a probation violation. She was also apparently arrested again, in February? So, I wonder if there was a "Motion to Revoke"?

      signed: getrealpeople

      Delete
    3. @WHERE IS JESSICA REYNOLDS?

      I wondered why her family offered excuses for her absence, and did not bother to report her missing?

      posted by pogamen 5/25/2012

      Delete
  6. Bring Ayla hone5/25/12, 6:37 AM

    There really is nothing more to say. (finally, some true investigative reporting) Thank you for getting closer to the truth. Ayla- we all want you home because we love you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Justin very well may have wanted to go to Portland to look for Ayla it might have been his first instinct. He might have been talked out of it. Just saying. And he did what he thought was the right thing and called 911. To let them handle things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The custody lingo is confusing to people because there are two kinds of custody, physical and legal. I think what Trista and family were saying was Justin never had legal custody but he had Ayla in his household living with him (physical custody.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. the space between5/25/12, 7:31 AM

    Regarding Ayla going to stay with Justin, didn't Trista also say it was by "agreement between me and him" that he would have her until she got back on her feet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she did say that. But her family has made statements to the contrary, and she later changed her story.

      Delete
  10. JSTL.... sometimes, I wonder if you are inside my head. I believe I have almost all of these words written down in a conversation between myself and quite a few others. Your head is exactly where mine has been from day 1 in this conversation.... if only Justin had called Trista first, this whole mess would have never occurred, we wouldn't have a nation searching for a baby girl who is, most likely, 100% safe and fine in a loving home with someone who has been hand picked to care for her until mommy dearest can run away, like she has been trying so hard to do since she "accepted and needed closure" 3 weeks into her own daughters disappearance. I'm sorry, but if my kids disappeared, I wouldn't rest. I wouldn't stop working with WHOEVER worked hardest for me - even if they weren't a certified non-profit. I would work for billboards, t-shirts, bumper stickers, bus stop mailings, school mailings... everything I could think of, I'd have a team and they'd get it done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! & I am inside your head...watch out now! =)

      Delete
    2. Exactly! Instead she and her family and supporters embarked on a vicious campaign against people that were and are doing a hell of a lot in hopes of finding Ayla. They not only made pointed efforts to shut things down that were being done with the volunteers own money but they ridiculed the efforts and got their lostMmissing spokesperson to do the same.

      As a mother I know I would never in a million years do those things to people trying desperately to help me. BUT she did. And Jeff did. And Tori and all her proxy minions did. Anyone who is involved in community events regularly can tell you that dedicated volunteers and funding is HARD TO COME BY. They literally continue to bitch slap on a daily basis these honest and hard working individuals for maintajning hope.

      As a parent I can't begin to understand that. But here is a question for all of those that have done it : how can you justify the fact that you won't embrace or even tolerate a groups efforts that would ALSO serve to help bring forward information about a murder if, in fact, it is you guys that are right? With their own time and money they blasted the news of Aylas disappearance across the nation via more than 70 billboards, thousands of flyers and decals, and posters to bus stations and airports around the country. Each and every one of those items could have led to someone perking up even if only for the reward advertised. If the "murder conspiracy "people are right then their efforts were STILL OF VALUE. If all Trista and family want now are answers and closure, why try to destroy the people working so hard to bring that...whatever the answer may be?

      Nothing that they put out there says "only come forward with information that clears Justin."

      So again. WHY ARE THE PEOPLE WORKING SO HARD BEING SHUT DOWN? correction. The bullying hasn't shut them down.

      I know for a FACT that intelligent, healthy minded, logical human beings with fancy degrees see all of the above as just that. It's a stupid and see through ploy to guard a secret.

      Delete
  11. What about the paternal side? There are definately some holes and things left out or unexplained. And if Trista was so bad or not recovered then why did she get baby Ray back and continues to have him in her custody. And before anybody talks about his father, Raymond....there are plenty of grandparents that could get temporary custody if she couldn't keep baby Ray. I think there was manipulation on Justin's part. He was keeping Ayla away on purpose. And I just don't know that many unemployed and mostly delinquent fathers that up and decide to get the max amount of a LIP on their child. And doesn't try to have contact or take out LIP with his other child. There are many holes with that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruby, what he took out for a LIP was the MINIMUM he could've done for a permanent policy. MINIMUM....not maximum. Geeeez.

      Delete
    2. And I feel the need to add that if he was taking it out on her in order to cash in on it, he could've purchased a 5 year term policy for a much higher pay out, and lower premium.

      Delete
    3. Correcting myself...you can't buy a term policy on a toddler, but my point still stands. He would've taken out a policy with a higher death benefit (certainly not the minimum) if he was in it for the money only.

      Delete
    4. Not to mention that 99.9% of the people talking about the "other child "are speculating both about his paternity and what if any knowledge he had of that child...and when.

      Delete
  12. more questions5/25/12, 10:07 AM

    IMHO this is your best post yet, Obscure. I recall at the time thinking it odd that Trista would be using her airtime to appeal to Justin, rather than appeal to the public.

    It's also important to note how the narrative changed. It was originally "we had an agreement" and that changed on a dime to "DHHS violated my rights." No way anyone could convince me that Trista wasn't parroting back that line. Question is, who put it in her head to say that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe... Jessica???

      signed: getrealpeople

      Delete
    2. More questions: i totally agree. I saw the same strangely ignored by the media change of story. I'd bet some adult in her life (via personal relationship or professional) started feeding her those lines. It was fairly simultaneous with the moment when her blog at aylareynolds.com started sounding like she had hired a ghost writer. One day the entries sounded like a below par 8th grader and the next day they sounded like a mature 20-something.

      Delete
  13. JSTL, I'm not sure why you are still blogging after Jeff Hanson proclaimed "enough is enough." Just because the President of the United States doesn't have the authority (or audacity) to tell people to stop saying things he personally doesn't like or agree with doesn't mean Jeff doesn't! Remember how Obama asked his followers to wipe out the "blight" of the "un-American" "Tea Party" because of their negative view of him? Me neither. Remember how the DePietros called upon the system to shut down the "blight" of J4A? Nope, neither do I.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeffrey is out of touch with reality.

      Delete
    2. Hey, he has Trista to give him the facts, and of course, their "reliable sources". LOL

      signed: getrealpeople

      Delete
    3. Really :
      Thank you! So true. None of the Dipieteos or Ttlom group or anyone else has gone around demanding that the other (disgusting) blogs be shut down. They've worked on getting answers. Period.

      Delete
  14. Bring Ayla home5/25/12, 10:04 PM

    Let's take a real life pole. How many people here, would at this point, believe their child is dead and give up hope?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IsthisCharlieSheen?5/26/12, 7:41 AM

      I don't know, why don't you tell me everything that LE has told Trista (that you will then say they never said because you didn't hear it yourself... as though you're entitled or something), and then we can answer that question fairly! Sound good? Then we can take a poll that asks how many of you out there, as a father who believed his daughter was abducted, would make NO PLEA for her return? Who would stop working with an agency designed to help find missing children (Laura Recovery), and who would not implore all services available in order to bring her home? See how that works both ways?

      Delete
    2. @charlie sheen - he did. He did make a plea. But he likely feels like based on the continual interviews and blogging of the people he's pleaing with that it will go unheard and that they have no intention of coming clean and returning Ayla.

      Delete
  15. Selena Johnson5/25/12, 10:25 PM

    Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  16. NoPonyintheShow5/28/12, 9:35 AM

    Why are you reposting previous comments to your blog as though they were current? Just wondering.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is this supposed to mean? Weird. We are having conversations here. Care to join? Marla S.

      Delete

ALL comments subject to removal. MODERATION becomes necessary when ignorance shows up. Don't be that person!