3.07.2012

Does a Failed Polygraph Really Matter?

Ask the parents of 3 year old Breann Rodriguez.


Breann vanished in August of 2011, as she was riding her bike around her neighborhood. Her brother was with her, but when he went in the house to get water and came back, she was gone.

Two vans seen in the area by witnesses were of interest to investigators. The driver of one van was questioned and released. It's only logical to question and/or focus on people in close proximity to the victim, so naturally, her parents would come under scrutiny.


Breeann's parents failed a polygraph.
"I don't know, honestly, honestly. When my wife went in there first to do the polygraph and she failed it, I mean, of course as a father when someone tells you they failed a polygraph, it automatically raises doubt," he told Grace. 
 "I don't know. To be completely honest with you. I don't believe we really did fail it. It may be some kind of tool they use to squeeze every bit of information out of us...I don't really know. But they said we did fail it," Rodriguez said.
FBI spokeswoman Rebecca Wu declined to comment on the results of the Rodriguez's polygraph tests.
Peeter found that the parents were being deceptive. The following are some of Peeter's exact words regarding his analysis:
To be "completely" honest indicates that the subject has honesty that is not complete. Note that he says "I" don't believe "we" failed it, yet he said that "you" as a "father" would have "doubts" raised (passivity noted).  Note in his statement the following phrases:  "we really did fail it" and "we did fail it" is repeated.  He stated that they "said" we did fail it; not "told" which is stronger language. 
He stated that it may be "some kind of tool" to squeeze every bit of information".  An innocent parent never thinks he or she has told everything known. Note that there was prior statements which showed that the police were withholding information from him and his wife.
As it turns out, Breann's parents ARE innocent. The Rodriguez's neighbor, Shawn Morgan, has been charged with her murder. After finding Breann on the swimming pool ladder in his backyard, he suffocated her with a plastic bag, and later said that it seemed like it took her an hour to die.

In this case, the parents were told they failed, but were adamant that they didn't know how that was possible. As it turns out, it wasn't completely possible. They may have failed specific questions, but it is clear that they had nothing to do with Breann's murder. Another reason why it's important to remember that polygraphs are not pass or fail events. All people who are told they have failed should DEMAND to know on what questions they showed deception. Obviously, in this case police told the parents they failed the test in order to "squeeze" more information out of them.

By the way, Peeter, is anyone keeping any record of how many times you get these types of things wrong? You know, so that you can address issues of internal and external validity, as well as BIAS? Just wondering...

Oh, and DON'T shoot the messenger. ;)

Thanks for the commenter who mentioned this case, you jogged my memory!

22 comments:

  1. Instead of worrying about the SA blog, why not go into more depth about polys and what's wrong with them, why they're generally not admissible in courts? Bottom line is poly is about as reliable as fortune telling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that would give even more insight and, I wonder if there are cases where a guilty party has passed a polygraph.

      Delete
    2. Then I would think just fessing up would be the route to go. In a perfect world. And save tax payers money. And lessen hate and confusion. I wish.

      Delete
    3. Thank you seeking truth, it's very interesting

      Delete
    4. Anon 9:03 there are many cases of guilty people passing polys who then went on to kill again. There have also been plenty of innocent people that fail them, then someone else turns out to be guilty (and then convicted)of the crime.

      Those giving the poly can also lie to the person about the results in hopes it will get the person to crack. That right there tells you LE knows the poly is unreliable.

      Delete
    5. The United States is the only country in the world where they still use polygraphs, because they are not reliable and studies throughout the world have found out they are wrong most of the time. Only people working for polygraph companies will tell you they are reliable, this is why they are still used here.

      Delete
  2. Well, I appreciate Peeeter being called out for being wrong when he is wrong. Because he certainly won't do it himself. Statement analysis has apparently replaced investigative work in this country if you ask the followers of it. Just read Peeters tales and you'll know who to cuff. All you need to be an investigator now is a laptop, a bag of cheeze curls, and P.H.'s URL which you will not be at a loss for because he posts it wherever he is, like a cute little calling card. So he can get those numbers on that page ticker bumped up. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate the insight and I realize that the topic is meant only to be about the Polygraphs.However, My heart breaks to know what happened to that poor sweet little girl. I never heard of this case. It makes my heart hurt. so I understand why people get so angry and want answers, and are ready to hang people without letting the case go to trial. But it is that emotion that needs boundaries. It must be kept in check and as frustrating as the legal system is, as frustrating as the hoops are to jump through, they have to be there. Because we are emotional and we can make mistakes. In any case, two tragic endings would not be better than one. All of the laws that are in place were put there because of a precedent. Mistakes made and conclusions jumped to can take freedom away from the wrong people. And wearing a uniform or taking an oath does not preclude someone from being able to be mistaken or looking at things from the wrong perspective. Very smart people throughout the history of our nation have put up roadblocks to this kind of permanent injustice so that we can't go careening in the wrong direction and never realize it till it's too late. Rest in peace little Breeann. I pray for you and for your big brother who surely thinks he is to blame.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are welcome SeekingTRUTH. I realized when Iposted it that I when I posted it some of was missing. I had hoped that people would realize just how quickly they can be at jumping to the obvious conclusion - the parents. However, this just isn't the case all of the time.

    I have followed missing children reports for a long time - for those interested perhaps you should look at pleasehelpthesemissingchildren.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Touché?!!" Good Gawd, sounds like MEAGAN WRIGHT.....LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find it disheartening when a mom, who's expecting her baby be returned to her on October 22nd, and who suspects her baby is being abused where she is, waits almost 2 months to file to get the baby returned. At what point in that 2 months did Trista stop receiving benefits/child support for Ayla? As some others have stated, I too wonder how Trista responded to Justin's texts about fearing Ayla would be taken from him.

    If truth serum really worked, it would be interesting to have it simultaneously, yet separately, administered to those involved in this case. It doesn't seem like anyone is telling the full truth. It would be wonderful if Justin were correct, that someone took her away from (both of) them believing they could give her a better life, as it seems that wouldn't be hard to do. IMO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good questions. In an interview where trista was questioning the insurance policy she was also ranting about Justin saying he was going to have support payments stopped. She didn't understand why he would do that if he thought Ayla was coming home. Made it seem to me like he was still paying her while he had Ayla. I cant be sure because trista is pretty hard to follow.

      Delete
    2. so was the living arrangement ok so long as the money was still coming in?

      Delete
  7. I think polygraphs, statement analysis, body language analysis and profiling are all vauable investigative tools and have a pretty good sucess rate. But none of these techniques are infallible, nor are they evidence. A true sociopath may lie and pass a polygraph because they don't have the normal anxiety associated with lying. An innocent parent may fail a question such as "Are you responsible for the disappearance of your child?" because they do feel responsible. Lying isn't necessarily proof of guilt. While it's not wise, an otherwise inncoent person may lie to LE about smoking pot or having an affair if they feel it's unrelated. Any of these methods have to be viewed in context. If there are inconsistencies in accounts, evidence to the contrary, failed polygraphs can help point LE in the right direction. Maybe every thing that points to the involvment of the DiPietros can have an alternate innocent explanation, but there is just too much that would have to be dismissed, explained, clarified, too many coincidences for me to look in any other direction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Nothing is fool-proof, but gives LE a good idea of who is guilty/involved. My belief is that these parents failed the poly because the child had been unattented much longer than stated, and they felt guilty because of it. The days when children play outside all day without an adult watching/guarding them are past.

      Delete
  8. I agree that the evidence presented, and logic, indicate that someone in the house knows something... and I think that is most likely the case; however, I don't know that 100%. If the worst happened, I don't understand how someone hasn't had a conscience to come forward about it yet (although I know that happens sometimes). I don't WANT to believe the worst, that doesn't mean I'm a "Dip Supporter" - I just want Ayla to be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's not so much the failed polygraph, but the lie of "smokin' it"...

    ReplyDelete
  10. There's a good chance that LE "led" Justin to believe that he passed the exam so he wouldn't feel as if he was a suspect (he possibly did pass because LE by all outward appearances didn't learn anything from the poly). Perhaps LE thought that "if" he did do something then there was a good chance that he would revisit the scene of the crime as a great deal of killers do, and lead police to Ayla's body.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't even believe that polygraphs are administered to parents of missing children in the first few days, maybe more. Not legitimate ones anyway. It is a tool used by LE, IMO of course.
    A parent is just too emotional at that time. Guilty or innocent, they are still very emotional.
    Of course they are not reliable anyway. I don't know when Justin took his poly, or what questions were ask.
    I do however think they are a useful tool sometimes, but that's it. Not a measure of guilt or innocense.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Shrieking with Lies: are u getting ready to eat this blog?

    ReplyDelete

ALL comments subject to removal. MODERATION becomes necessary when ignorance shows up. Don't be that person!